Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My Heroes

I've read more than once that caregivers of those with chronic pain are the silent victims. I'm sure my family would never call themselves victims, but they sure are great caregivers. In the last couple of years I had to move back in with my parents, mostly for financial reasons. Since then my migraines have grown unbearable in frequency and intensity. At this point I don't know that I could live on my own. When I'm in bed or on the couch with a bad migraine, my mom is more than willing to fix me something to eat or reheat my rice filled heating pad or switch my ice packs (heat and cold both occasionally help the pain). My brother and dad chip in too. And all 3 have taken me on more ER runs than I can count. My brother gives up a day every six weeks to take me to Chicago for visits to my neurologist. My friends have also offered their help on many occasions. When I was headed to Chicago last October to be placed in the hospital there to break a migraine cycle, my best friend Jill put together a cute fall decorative basket and picture frame so I'd have something to decorate my hospital room. She's also driven to Chicago countless times, whether it was to visit me in the hospital or go with me to a doctor's appointment.

I am so blessed to have such a great family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment